Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Future World (1976)

Artwork by Tongdee


I'm still not accustomed to my newly acquired FUTURE WORLD poster. Every time I look at it my soul seems to take on the same multi-hued palette that artist Tongdee so deftly employed in its rendering. With gaze transfixed upon it, I not only feel a compulsion towards the movie itself, which I've never seen, but, like a child standing over a ball pit in a playroom, I want throw myself in. I'd swim in it if I could. If I didn't know better, I might attempt to chew it, as if it were pile M&M's placed in a rectangular bowl on grandma's coffee table. Oh, those were the days...   

A friend commented that FUTURE WORLD by Tongdee has a Da Daesque quality to it. In that he is right. There are also elements of early Art Deco in it, too. In particular, the echoing faces of Yul Brenner and Peter Fonda at the lower flanks, and the crystalline shapes near the top of the composition. This poster could have been laid out as a tile mosaic at the 1939 World's Fair and would have fit right in.

I have to salute Tongdee. In FUTURE WORLD the Thai poster art form was given a new gold standard. And in my minds eye, every damn time I look at this piece of paper, I am given a peak into my soul as a 4 year old standing on the edge of the ball bit, about to jump in.

(click on images below to enlarge)

       


 




No comments:

Post a Comment